Tuesday 8 November 2011

Video: Interview with Marianna, Senegalese lesbian, asylum seeker

Source: Toxic Lesbian

In this short, moving video, Marianna, a lesbian from Senegal, explains that her parents had her circumcised to cure her lesbianism. Later, she was caught with her girlfriend and they were beaten so badly by a mob that her girlfriend died. Marianna sought asylum, and was successful.

The video was produced by the Toxic Lesbian group in collaboration with the Belgian LGBT rights group Merhaba as part of the “When Love in Africa Costs your Life” project. Toxic Lesbian is a collection of Spanish activist-artists who have been working at the Matadero Madrid Contemporary Art Center in Madrid. They have produced a number of videos in English, French and Spanish, and more are in the works.

This video is in French, but English and French transcripts follow.



ENGLISH TRANSCRIPT
WHEN LOVE IN AFRICA COSTS YOUR LIFE
[translation by F. Young]

Yes, I am an asylum seeker.

One night I took the plane. It’s a woman who helped me, because I was with a female friend.

You know, in Senegal, people do not like to see people of the same sex loving each other deeply[?]. So when I lost my friend there, there is a woman who helped me. It’s that woman there, with her knowledge, [and] a gentleman named George, he's the one who helped me get here.

It started when I was very little. But my parents became aware of it, my parents truly knew, when I was 17.

And when they knew that, you know, first of all, in Senegal, we practice female circumcision, but as [unintelligible] the association that fights against female genital mutilation there, my parents at first told themselves, no, we won’t do that [unintelligible].

I was not circumcised at first, but, at 17, when they learned that I was a lesbian over there, my grandmother came to say: Oh, it's because you want to leave our traditions. That's why your daughter is sick. We must do that.

Them, they thought circumcising me would treat me. So I was circumcised.
A woman must belong to a man. If she loves another woman, it`s because she is sick, because she has not been circumcised. So I was circumcised.

I met a girl over there. I went out with that girl, but secretly. When my uncle found out, he reported us to the police, but the police did not even have time to come before the people came.

First, they broke the door. They knocked, knocked, but we did not want to open. First, they broke the door. They dragged both of us, and beat us.

Afterwards, the police came. The police brought us to the hospital.

Then, it was as a result of her injuries that my girlfriend died.

When I heard she died, I left and I fled.

My girlfriend, she’s the one who told me about that lady there. So I went to ask [unintelligible] because I did not know that lady. It was she who helped me get here.

I would dearly love to see my parents again, but I don’t know if, them, they would like to see me one day. I don’t know.

If you're a lesbian, they label you. You're not normal, or you're sick.

You have no more friends. Even if you say, oh, I want to go see a girlfriend or a friend who is there, you enter the house, automatically, the [unintelligible] tells you, Get out! Because you come to spoil our children! You, you're not normal!

You’re even scared to go [unintelligible]. You prefer to stay in your corner and...

TRANSCRIPTION EN FRANÇAIS
(French transcript)

QUAND AIMER EN AFRIQUE, ON LE PAIE AVEC LA VIE

Oui, je suis demandeur d'asile.

Une nuit, j'ai pris l'avion. C'est une femme qui m'a aidée, car j'étais avec une amie.

Tu sais, au Sénégal, les gens n'aiment pas voir des personnes de même sexe bien[?] s'aimer. Alors, quand j'ai perdu mon amie là, il y a une femme qui m'a aidée. C'est la femme-là, avec ses connaissances, [et] un monsieur qui s'appelait Georges, c'est lui qui m'a aidé à venir ici.

Ça commencé quand j'étais tout petit. Mais mes parents se sont aperçu de ça, mes parents l'ont su véritablement quand j'avais 17 ans.

Et quand ils ont su ça, tu sais, nous, au Sénégal d'abord, on pratique l'excision, mais comme [inintelligible] l'association qui lutte contre l'excision là-bas, mes parents se sont dit d'abord, « Non, on ne va pas faire ça, [inintelligible]. »

Je n'ai pas été excisée d'abord, mais, à 17 ans, lorsqu'ils ont su ça, que j'étais lesbienne là-bas, ma grand-mère est venue dire, "Oh, c'est parce que vous voulez laisser nos traditions. C'est pour cela que votre fille est malade. Il faut faire ça."

Eux, ils pensaient que m'exciser allait me soigner. Alors j'ai été excisée.

La femme doit appartenir à l'homme. Si elle aime une autre femme, c'est parce qu'elle est malade, c'est parce qu'elle n'est pas été excisée. Alors, j'ai été excisée.

J'ai rencontré là-bas une fille. Je sortais avec cette fille-là, mais en cachette. Quand mon oncle a su ça, il nous a dénoncées à la police, mais la police n'a pas même eu le temps de venir, que la population est venue.

Ils ont d'abord cassé la porte. Ils ont tapé, tapé, mais nous n'avons pas voulu ouvrir. Ils ont d'abord cassé la porte. Ils nous ont traînées tous les deux, tabassées.

Après, la police est venue. La police nous a amenées à l'hôpital.

Après, c'est par la suite de ses blessures que ma copine est décédée.

Quand j'ai entendu qu'elle est décédée, je suis sorti et je me suis enfui.

Ma copine, c'est elle qui m'a parlé de la dame-là. Alors je suis partie demander [aux marches?] car je ne connaissais pas la dame-là. C'est elle qui m'a aidée à venir ici.

J'aimerais bien revoir mes parents, mais je ne sais pas est-ce que, eux, voudraient bien me revoir un jour? Je sais pas.

Si tu es lesbienne, ils te classent. Tu n'es pas normale, ou tu es malade.

Tu n'as plus d'amis. Même si tu dis, oh, je veux allez voir une copine ou une amie qui est là-bas, tu entres dans la maison, automatiquement, les [indéchiffrable] te disent, « Sort! parce que tu viens gâter nos enfants! Toi, tu n'es pas normale! »

Tu as même peur d'aller [inintelligible]. Tu préfères rester dans ton coin et...

Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails